Save the Date
Role of Universities in Responding to the Refugee Crisis
The American University of Beirut will be hosting the 3rd Alliance of Lead Universities on Migration (ALUM) conference
November 6th - 7th, 2017
Issam Fares Institute Auditorium
AUB (Green Oval)
The conference will address, but not exclusively, the following questions:
• How can universities maximize their policy impact on issues of displacement; including influencing international fora such as G7, G20, UNGA?
• How can universities contribute to a less polarized debate on refugees and address rising xenophobia against them?
• What are lessons-learned from various disciplinary research conducted on issues related to displacement, and what are ways to minimize research waste while maximizing impact?
• How can universities innovatively increase enrollment of refugee students and vulnerable host communities in higher education?
• How can universities, particularly with health and medical sciences branches, address the mounting health needs of refugee populations and their host communities?
During the conference, ALUM members will announce the Beirut Declaration on how to advance a multi-stakeholder engagement and a multilateral response to the needs of forcibly displaced persons and their host societies.
The Alliance of Lead Universities on Migration (ALUM) is a unique collaboration among lead universities in Europe and frontier countries in the Middle East and North Africa, forging an alliance to help bridge the gap between research and policy in the management of the current migrant and refugee crisis. ALUM’s network identifies the key units and researchers ready and willing to contribute their expertise to work across national and disciplinary boundaries towards evidence-based policy solutions.
The conference will be organized at the American University of Beirut (AUB) by the Issam Fares Institute for Public Policy and International Affairs and the AUB4Refugees Initiative. It will take place in the Auditorium of the Issam Fares Institute at AUB in Beirut, Lebanon.
For more information, kindly contact Ms. Yara Mourad on firstname.lastname@example.org and Ms. Geri Miric on G.E.Miric@lse.ac.uk