Field Officer and Researcher
Education and Youth Policy Research Program, Issam Fares Institute for Public Policy and International Affairs, and the Department of Education, AUB
Project: Understanding Risks and Opportunities for Improving the Education Experience of Vulnerable Lebanese and Syrian Refugee Children in Lebanon
Starting date: November 2017
Application deadline: October 25
Nine months full-time Field Officer and Researcher position within AUB’s Department of Education and the Issam Fares Institute’s Education and Youth Policy Research Program starting November 2017.
This research position will primarily involve work on a project titled “Understanding Risks and Opportunities for Improving the Education Experience of Vulnerable Lebanese and Syrian Refugee Children in Lebanon”. The Field Officer and Researcher will be actively involved in the research and field activities of the project, coordinating some of its activities with research and field partners, as well as other administrative activities under the supervision and support of the Senior Program Coordinator and the Project Technical Director.
About the Project:
Understanding Risks and Opportunities for Improving the Education Experience of Vulnerable Lebanese and Syrian Refugee Children in Lebanon
This project is one of five studies within the “Research for Results (R4R)” program which aims to generate new evidence on student and teacher performance across school types and to create policy recommendations to strengthen the efficiency and quality of education services by public, private and non-state providers. The R4R research program includes system-level analyses and stakeholder outreach to create and share new information about education services for uptake by policy-makers and system stakeholders. The study on the vulnerability of Lebanese students and Syrian refugees aims to research the sets of risks and opportunities for improving the education experiences for vulnerable Lebanese and Syrian refugee children in Lebanon. In this study, panel data will be collected on a sample of vulnerable students and out-of-school children to better understand the factors associated with persistence, risk factors for dropout, and ways schools and communities are supporting children to stay in school and learn.
1. Follow up on the implementation of project activities with relevant parties (local and international partners, RAs, consultants, etc.);
2. Assist and lead in research; this includes conducting literature reviews, assisting in adapting research tools, conducting interviews and focus group discussions, transcription, and analysis of data.
3. Conduct fieldwork; this includes coordinating and attending meetings and visits to ensure the implementation of project activities; prepare and/or edit meeting minutes and process briefings;
4. Prepare and produce policy briefs and working papers relevant to the projects.
5. Organize activities relevant to the project such as lectures, panel discussions, and workshops; produce event summaries;
6. Act as focal person for, and communicate with, partners and relevant institutions; represent AUB when necessary at meetings, workshops, and conferences;
7. With the support of AUB administrative staff, follow up on the administrative procedures regarding the project, including travel arrangements and expense reports; keep record of all project documents (hard and soft copies);
8. Prepare progress reports on the proceedings of the project when necessary.
• Master’s degree in education studies, social sciences or a relevant field. Candidates working towards their master’s degree with relevant research experience will also be considered;
• 1 to 3 years work experience preferable;
• Excellent command of English and Arabic is a must (spoken, read and written). Prior research experience in Arabic is a plus;
• Good administrative and organizational skills;
• Ability to work pro-actively, independently and efficiently;
• Easy mobility in all regions across Lebanon;
• Experience using NVivo or other qualitative data analysis programs is a plus.
Applicants must send a cover letter, a CV, and the names of two references with full contact information to the Senior Program Coordinator, Dr. Hana A. El-Ghali, at firstname.lastname@example.org, no later than October 25, 2017, with the subject, “Field Officer - EYPR”.
Kindly note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Within the framework of Lebanese Law, the American University of Beirut is an equal opportunity employer.